What a great week! Last week both Kadee and I were able to attend the Inspection Super Conference. This was a great opportunity for both Kadee and I to meet with other inspectors and inspection companies from across the country. We were able to hear what other people are doing, and from that figure out where we want to take our home inspection process. I already think we have a great Home Inspection process, one of the best in Knoxville, but we are always looking to improve and learn more. While we were at the conference, Kadee and I both got our Residential Thermographer Certifications and are also now Certified Sewer Scope Inspectors. We will be incorporating thermal imaging into our home inspections going forward. We will start offering Sewer Scope Inspections and Chimney Inspections shortly. By shortly, I mean we have ordered the equipment, and we are patently waiting for our equipment to arrive. Below are two pieces of really important information we took from the Sewer Scope training:
- Over 60% of houses older than 20 years have issues with their drain line. As a house gets older, the probability of issues increases.
- City sewer connection typically runs down the middle or close to the middle of the street and can be tracked by following the manhole covers. The homeowner is typically responsible for the drain line from the house all the way to the city sewer line, even if it goes under the street.
Can you imagine the cost of a sewer line repair if you need to bring a backhoe in and dig up the street? This why you need a Sewer Scope Inspection to help you to understand. It will show you if there are problems and what they are. If we can find the issues soon enough, they can be fix without having to dig the sewer line up. I will talk more about Sewer Scope Inspection in a future blog, but you are always welcome to call us.
Some of the other trainings classes we attended were:
- Identifying Exterior Water Intrusion Problems
- Fireplace and Chimney Inspections
- Chasing Moisture with Thermal Imaging
- Inspector Technology Today
After all these really cool classes, we had a full day of some of the nation’s largest inspection firms talking about how they grew their business and how they provide services to customers. From hearing them talk, I can tell you Bent Nail Home Inspection is on the right track and provides a great home inspection for Oak Ridge, Knoxville, and all of east Tennessee.
As always, if you have a question, whether you use Bent Nail Home Inspections Services or not, you are always welcome to call us. We will be happy to help you in any way we can.
Have a great day,
Lee and Kadee